Italian Sausage and Pepper Subs
Sautéed bell peppers, onion, marinara and melted mozzarella cheese top these Italian sausages to make this meal decadent. Maple mustard sauce adds in some tangy, sweetness. Stuff it all in a poppy seed bun and enjoy with a glass of Claret.
- 1 (20-oz) pkg Italian sausage links
- 3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 (24-oz) jar marinara sauce
- 1 (6-count) pkg poppy seed hot dog buns
- 1 (8-oz) block mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Maple-Mustard Sauce (recipe follows)
- Cook sausages in 2 Tbsp hot oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until browned on all sides. Remove from skillet, and keep warm.
- Sauté bell peppers and onion in 1 Tbsp hot oil in same skillet over medium-high heat until crisp-tender. Return sausages to skillet, and add marinara sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until sausages are done.
- Preheat broiler. Divide sausage mixture among buns, and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with cheese. Broil 3 to 4 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve with Maple-Mustard Sauce.
- ¼ cup whole-grain Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- Whisk together all ingredients. Store, covered, in refrigerator up to 1 week.