Vegetable Pakoras with Cilantro-Mint Chutney Recipe
Learn how to make Vegetable Pakoras with Cilantro-Mint Chutney from authentic recipes from The Culinary Institute of America.
VEGETABLE PAKORAS WITH CILANTRO AND MINT CHUTNEY
MAKES 12 SKEWERS
12 large button mushrooms
Canola oil, as needed
1 zucchini, cut in bite-sized chunks
3½ oz. chickpea flour
3½ oz. all-purpose flour
1½ tsp. baking powder
1½ tsp. garam masala
½ tsp. garlic powder
1 pinch cayenne pepper
2 tsp. salt
1 pint water
1 poblano pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
½ head cauliflower, florets and blanched
1 large carrot, oblique cut and blanched
Salt, for seasoning
Ground black pepper, for seasoning
12 bamboo skewers (6-inches long)
Chickpea flour, for dredging as needed
Mint and Cilantro
- In a sauté pan over high heat, sauté the mushrooms in canola oil until slightly caramelized. Remove from the skillet and let cool.
- In the same pan, refresh the oil and sauté the zucchini over high heat until slightly caramelized. Remove from the skillet and let cool.
- For the batter: Combine the flours, baking powder, garam masala, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and salt in a mixing bowl. Add the water and mix until smooth.
- Season all the vegetables with salt and pepper after they are cooked. Place one piece of each vegetable onto each skewer. Dredge the skewers in flour and shake off excess. Dip in the batter to coat completely.
- Deep-fry at 350°F until golden brown and crispy, about 3 to 5 minutes. Drain on a wire rack. Serve skewer on a plate accompanied by the mint and cilantro chutney.
MINT AND CILANTRO CHUTNEY
MAKES 1 CUP
2 cups washed and chopped cilantro
1 cup washed and chopped mint leaves
1 Tbsp. peeled and chopped ginger
1 Tbsp. chopped garlic
1 Tbsp. seeded and chopped jalapeño
2 Tbsp. desiccated coconut
¼ cup lime juice
Salt, to taste
Sugar, to taste
- Blend all of the ingredients in a blender with a little water as needed until liquefied.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and, for the acidity, add 1 to 2 teaspoons of sugar as needed.