Butternut Squash, Spinach, and Chickpea Soup
Butternut Squash, Spinach, and Chickpea Soup paired with Diamond Collection Sauvignon Blanc wine for the parents and apple juice for the little ones.
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh thyme (optional)
- 2 (32-oz) cartons vegetable broth
- 1 (12-oz) pkg peeled, cubed butternut squash
- 2 (15-oz) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup coarsely chopped tomatoes
- ¾ cup orzo
- 1 (5-oz) pkg baby spinach (or use collards or arugula)
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 lemons, cut into wedges
- Sauté celery and onion in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in garlic, red pepper, and, if desired, thyme. Cook 1 minute.
- Stir in broth and squash; bring to a boil. Cover and cook 10 minutes. Stir in chickpeas, tomatoes, and orzo. Cook 10 minutes or until orzo is done.
- Remove from heat, and stir in spinach until wilted. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with green onions and lemon wedges.