Butternut Squash, Spinach, and Chickpea Soup
kid friendly dinners
Butternut Squash, Spinach, and Chickpea Soup paired with Diamond Collection Sauvignon Blanc wine for the parents and apple juice for the little ones.
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh thyme (optional)
- 2 (32-oz) cartons vegetable broth
- 1 (12-oz) pkg peeled, cubed butternut squash
- 2 (15-oz) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup coarsely chopped tomatoes
- ¾ cup orzo
- 1 (5-oz) pkg baby spinach (or use collards or arugula)
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 lemons, cut into wedges
- Sauté celery and onion in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in garlic, red pepper, and, if desired, thyme. Cook 1 minute.
- Stir in broth and squash; bring to a boil. Cover and cook 10 minutes. Stir in chickpeas, tomatoes, and orzo. Cook 10 minutes or until orzo is done.
- Remove from heat, and stir in spinach until wilted. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with green onions and lemon wedges.